Home Alone is one of the greatest family Christmas movies of all time.
Couple that with the renewed interest in Emmy-winner Catherine O’Hara, thanks to the popularity of Schitt’s Creek, and we reckon it’ll be at the top of everyone’s list for a rewatch during Christmas 2020.
With that in mind, we decided to take a closer look at the 1990 hit film and unearthed some amazing tidbits for fans of the McAllister clan!
Here are five fascinating things we bet you never knew about Home Alone:
- Joe Pesci, who plays Harry, deliberately avoided Macauley Culkin on set because he wanted him to think he was really mean.
- The scary movie that Kevin watches, Angels with Filthy Souls, isn’t actually a real film – it’s a collection of footage created specifically for Home Alone! However, it is an homage to films of that era, most notably Angels with Dirty Faces starring James Cagney.
- Daniel Stern, who plays Marv in the film, was terrified of spiders and only agreed to the tarantula scene if it could be done in one take. His petrified scream was added in during post-production as a real scream would have scared the spider.
- In one of the final scenes where Harry bites Kevin’s finger, Joe Pesci really bit Macauley Culkin and even left him with a scar!
- The Talkboy was originally just a prop created for the film but due to a massive letter-writing campaign it was made into a real product that was available for fans to purchase!